Friday, June 10, 2011

And boom goes the dynamite...

Ska-doosh.
Despite the fact that it indeed has been winter here for the better part of two months, earlier this week was especially cold. Soul crushin cold. Cloudy, rainy, frigid fog: the works. I could see my breath while I watched TV. Anyhow, I didn't think to much of it, as the blood from my brain was detoured to my toes.

However, during a conversation at work today, someone mentioned that it was due to an ash cloud, which I thought was ridiculous at first. But then I remembered seeing on the BBC that a volcano in Chile had indeed erupted a week or so ago and had, indeed, covered most of Patagonia in ash clouds, freezing rain, and all around ickiness.

So while earlier this week the finer, more cultured particulates of the eruption literally rain on my parade, today the bigger guys arrived.

Dude, I totally get it.
As the human brain, or whatever, has the tendancy to notice things it just learned, my walk home today from work was quite the sight. Cars where covered in thin, gray ash. They all looked like Northern Michigan cars in early May. When I looked to something far away, it was noticeably hazy - today dry as a bone, by the way.

Now, this is nothing on a Pompeiian scale by anymeans, but it doesn´t take a stretch of imagination to figure that if a single volcano a thousand miles away can make a week of miserable weather, a few dozen world-wide volcanoes and meteors to boot could put a damper on the dinosaurs.

On a side note, between the Chilean volcano and those that burst in México and Hawaii, I'm hoping that Harold Campings predicions weren't a month off.

No comments:

Post a Comment